Monday, September 9, 2013

How Much of You is Really On Social Media?

This post isn't about misleading comments or images designed to make yourself look "better" than you are (Better is in quotes because there is no need!  You're just fine as you are!).  This post is about what you don't say for fear of backlash - either on-line or in real life.

I hesitated before I hit "post" on a facebook post today.  Why?  Why on earth can't I simply, easily post what matters to me?  Well, because I knew it might "offend" some of my extended family members.  The post itself did not include profanity or in any way denigrate any person or group.  I just knew that I was taking a clear stand on something that was in opposition to that which many of my family members believe.


My stand was not "in your face" - unless of course you think that posting an opinion is "in your face."  I thought about referencing "family members" in general in my post but thought better of it.  There was no need.  This was not about them.  This was about me, my beliefs and how they fit into my life and that of my immediate family members (husband and children).  None-the-less I hesitated.


I'm glad I hit post.  I'm glad I posted what I wanted to despite whatever reactions I may get (including being blocked or hidden).  I believe in what I posted.  The content reflect that which is important to me.  It reflected me.  And I'm glad.


Like what you read?  Want to read more but don't want to have to keep coming back?  Subscribe now!  You can get SelfStrong delivered to your RSS reader or delivered right to your email inbox.  You choose!  Both options are available on the top right of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips